1901 Census Online
- Contact details for record repositories in the
Ancestry.com - A multipurpose searchable database of historical info and census records.
Association of Genealogists and Researchers in Archives (AGRA) - Directory of professional researchers who abide by the association's code of
BBC - Your History - Find Local and family history guides and tips.
Black & Asian History
Black Cultural Archives & Museum
British Genealogy.com - Try 'Resources' for: parish registers, censuses, gravestone inscriptions.
- Find sites for each country and region of the
British Home Children
British On-Line Newspaper Archive
BT Archives - Details of access to the archive in London of telephone directories dating from 1880.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
. An extensive list of links to sites worldwide.
Electoral Registers at the British Library - A guide to the electoral registers held at the British Library's Social Policy Information Service.
English Record Offices and Archives on the Web. Links arranged by county.
e.g. parish registers, census records.
Family Records Centre - The Family Records Centre in London provides access to sources for family history research in England and Wales, including
indexes of births, marriages and deaths, copies of Prerogative Court of Canterbury (PCC) wills 1383-January 1858, census returns, index of adoptions, etc.
FamilyRecords.gov - Guide to government records and other sources. See the 'Topics' section for birth, marriage and death certificates, religious records,
censuses, wills, immigration, emigration, military records and adoption.
- You can search millions of names on this site, from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Includes the IGI (International
Genealogical Index), the 1881 British Census, and much more.
Families in British India Society
Family Research Link
- Includes full text of leaflets to help with your research.
Genealogical Society Of Ireland
General Register Office (Belfast)
General Register Office (Dublin)
General Register Office (Scotland)
Genuki - The
main gateway site to sources for the
- A digital library of eighteenth, nineteenth and early twentieth century local and trade directories from
Institute Of Commonwealth Studies
Irish Family Research
Genealogical Research Society - Includes details of
the society's library in
Jewish Genealogical Society of Great Britain
– A list of Kent Resources and links.
Medieval Genealogy - Very informative site for medieval genealogy and related historical topics.
Methodist Archives & Research Centre
- Online resources that record and illustrate the migration of Caribbean, Irish, South Asian and Jewish people to
centuries. Includes a 'Roots Gallery' giving guides to tracing ancestors.
National Archives -Documents Online
National Archives of Ireland
National Library of Ireland
National Library of Scotland
The National Archives (Scotland)
The National Library of Wales
Oriental & India Office Library
– Fee-based. You can search online databases of major records. Links you to 'English Origins', 'Irish Origins' and 'Scottish Origins' and includes
'Origin Search', a specialist search engine that crawls the web specifically for genealogical information.
- You can find the location of a parish, calculate distances between parishes and list all parishes within a specified distance of any parish.
- Searchable collection of all surviving editions of the Old Bailey Proceedings from 1674 to 1834. Contains accounts of over
trials held at
British National Archives. Click each menu option here for different aspects of family history information.
Detailed information about recent and historical records. Only in a small percentage of cases is there a
central record of changes of name by deed poll or otherwise.
Public Record Office - Belfast
Register of One-Name Studies
- Electronic catalogue to the holdings of more than fifty Scottish archives. Includes digital resources.
Society of Friends (Quakers)
- Details of the society, including access to, and holdings of, its
- Look-up your surname and county. 48,075 Surnames. http://www.county-surnames.co.uk/index.html
Surname Profiler- Investigate the distribution of surnames. Trace the geography and history of your family name.